General Studies Commencement Information for 2020 Graduates
Students in Multi-Disciplinary Studies and University Studies who completed their degree in December 2019, May 2020 or August 2020 are invited to participate in UM’s annual commencement ceremonies on May 7-8. The UM commencement website contains a lot of the important information that you need, but here are some things that our office has been getting a lot of questions about.
- You MUST RSVP! While the original deadline for the RSVP has passed, the University recently extended the deadline so that more students had time to respond. Please be sure to do this as soon as possible. This information is crucial to determining how many tickets will be available for guests for each graduate.
- Ceremonies — There are two ceremonies that our graduates are invited to participate in.
- The first ceremony you are invited to take part in is just for graduates from our degree programs. This is the ceremony where graduates are recognized individually and are called to walk across the stage. Any student graduating with a degree in Multi-Disciplinary Studies or University Studies would attend the General Studies ceremony at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, May 7th, in the “Tad” Smith Coliseum.
- The second is a campus-wide convocation ceremony to take place in the Vaught-Hemingway football stadium at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 8th. This is a ceremony for graduates from all UM schools/degree programs and their guests. It usually lasts a little over an hour. According to the schedule, if there is inclement weather, this ceremony will not take place as there is no building large enough to accommodate the expected number of attendees.
- Tickets — Each graduate will be allotted a maximum amount of tickets to obtain for family and friends. This information is not yet available on the commencement website, but I anticipate that the number available for each of our graduates should be enough to invite several guests. Please continue watching the UM commencement website for updated information on tickets.
- Cap/gown — You must order your graduate attire by Sunday, April 4th. When prompted for your degree, please select “General Studies/University Studies” (I am trying to get Multi-Disciplinary Studies added, but it appears to not have been added to the drop-down). This pertains to your tassel color, which will be black.
- Reader cards — Each student will have a reader card printed for them which can be picked up at the “Tad” Smith Coliseum before the start of the General Studies ceremony. This will be the card that the student hands to the reader when it is the student’s turn to cross the stage.
- Graduate seating — There will be no processional. All graduates will be seated in front of the stage in no particular order by degree program (Multi-Disciplinary Studies students all together and University Studies students all together).
- Honor cords — Students who graduated with Latin honors will be given a gold honor cord when the pick up their reader card at the “Tad” Smith Coliseum (the Latin honors will be listed on your reader card).
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. And please remember to keep checking the UM commencement website regularly for updated information.